The Greenlight System in Action
The objectives of Environmental Monitoring Programs are to assign responsibilities, specify mandatory operating procedures, identify action levels and response measures, and provide for contingencies in project operation. The Greenlight System is the foot soldier of the plan – constantly monitoring hazards, transmitting and storing data, and alerting authorized personnel of change.
The Greenlight System fulfills these primary objectives of most environmental monitoring programs to
- Fulfill regulatory mandates
- Protect site workers and subcontractors from environmental risk
- Protect the community and public from exposure to contaminants of concern
- Foster community acceptance and confidence during remediation projects
- Collect reliable, defensible data
- Maintain schedule and budget
- Build cleaner, safer sites
- Monitor wherever needed on the site: exclusion zone, work zones and/or perimeter
Why is there a need for Better and Quicker Environmental Monitoring?
The public has become
- more educated about the risks of exposure to chemicals and other hazards.
- less tolerant of nuisance exposures such as dust and noise.
- demanding of truth and accuracy regarding health concerns associated with project sites and activities that they believe may potentially impact them.
There is a recent shift in market drivers including
- mandatory studies, in advance, to assess environmental and health impacts of development projects
- scarcity of natural resources and community planning leading to industrial site redevelopment, economic revitalization instead of farmland or wilderness development
- long-range sustainability and stewardship plans replacing a finite and short-term clean-up
- a transition from exclusively federal involvement in environmental projects to the participation of state and municipal governments and community organizations, who are typically more engaged and focused in local issues and outcomes
- corporations seeking to replace the liability of a contaminated sites so as to create useable and lucrative real estate assets
- municipalities seeking to resurrect tax revenues buried in abandoned or under-utilized industrial sites and undeveloped Brownfield sites
The Greenlight System is the solution to rapidly and continuously retrieve and analyze data required for environmental challenges. Real-time monitoring has replaced labor-intensive sampling activities, to lower costs, reduce project downtime and mitigating environmental concerns with enhanced regulatory compliance.